28.4.09

the Place BEtween



There is this favorite spot along the Willamette where I like to sit and think or search for lost and insignificant things. Or maybe just have a snack (: It's not a specific spot at all but it is always the same: On one side; the groan of the city and all it stirs in the mind and spirit--concerns and cares and reasons why. And on the other side; the wild. The glorious and wise wild. Perhaps not so wild at this point but wild enough to know that the earth still lives. There is a kind of balance here, with the madness of the city calmed by the wind and the water and the light in the leaves.

I sat on the rivers rocky edge one evening and questioned the moon; What would you give the sea if you were lovers? "Stars of course", was the reply.

And then I noticed

they are lovers! -- and the sea is full of stars.

What is it that draws me to the city, and this city in particular? Humanity of course, and nature. Have I told you about the trees? I shall, and I will tell you of this dream. I was flying effortlessly over the forested green hills, over the ridge I went and down into the magical woods for a closer look. I beheld a most massive tree which was not like the others but for one. It's massive trunk supported many branches all the size of tree trunks. Solid, strong, comforting and calm and reaching out and up to the sky. I stopped to feel its presence and was taken by its being. I wished to climb its trusses and sleep in its arms but I could not stay. So I took to the sky once more and flew through and from this forrest.

But the trees are always with me. That's just how they make me feel. Strong and calm and sure.

No comments: