4.2.11

to WRITE


Have I got stories to tell.

I will always remember this one teacher of a writing class I took back when I was in my late 20s. More accurately said: I will always remember said teacher, and a particular lesson she taught--It was simple and obvious really: The best stories are those written with a base in personal experience. Write about what you know.

Well I've got some experience now (:

My last entry to this blog was June 27th of 2009. I was living at Everett's on Blandina in N. Portland. Im not going into details of how I ended up living there in this writing, but in time I will--assuming I will still be alive to write in some unknown future where I may decide to do so.

Everett was quite the character: A short, robust man in his late 60's with a balding head and long, white, locks of hair on the sides. He wore thinly rimmed glasses and often had a big as life smile. He also was pretty smart and loved to argue. Of course he couldn't do it with me 'cause the content usually bored me and I have not quite yet got the idea of arguing. I guess that's because Im a loner (was a loner) and usually dwell on what people say to me after the fact to see if it makes enough sense to apply to my life. I do like to listen though and he could definitely talk. I found him to be interesting - his behavior - and kind (so it seemed) and generous. Unfortunately I was not in the position to reciprocate that generosity.

Everett was (still is Im sure) a pack-rat and that to no small degree. I learned over my extended time there that, indeed, the whole household of male identified middle-aged men had its issues. I was living in a house of mirrors, and there were lessons to be learned.


Oh the stories to tell. And I will tell them but right now I am brainstorming on where to put them and how to organize them. No more agonizing and procrastinating, but contemplating and doing. And right now Im thinking that this blog will be a daily with an emphasis on lessons learned and questions unanswered and whatnot in relation myself and the greater community outside myself. From those with whom I seek shelter to those who reside on the other side of this hunk of star stuff spinning in the spinning.


No comments: