6.11.07

Plenty

I wrote the previous while at Epic Cafe, a coffee house in Tucson that I like to hangout at. After finishing, I left Epic and went to the food co-op. They usually play music from the 60's there, music I grew up with. I have always loved music and started listening while I was in early elementary school. The first 45's I remember listening to are Suspicious Minds by Elvis, and Rebel Rouser, and Dueling Banjos by whom I know not.
So I often hear music there that I remember from my childhood. What strikes me lately about this music are the lyrics. They are absolutely silly or worse. Songs about not being able to live without someone, or dying for lack of love, or "and where he goes I'll follow. Ouch! Even the more pleasant songs of love and romance are a bit twisted. Not very realistic. I listened to this stuff when I was young and impressionable and I can't help but wonder if the influence of music on me is similar to the influence of religion on me but in a different realm of my life. Being the space creature that I am I have a feeling it is true. I could say these happy, joyful love songs in a sense are "light" and most religions claim to be "the light". Just some personal introspection. Religion is in a league all by itself.
I'm beginning to wake up but it is a challenge for me. Perhaps as in all things it is a balance because I do love the dream world. Well... we'll see.

No comments: