16.11.07

Tulsa

Tulsa Oklahoma is where I was living when I wrote Comfort Food sometime in the first half of 2005 . I was sitting on the sofa debating weather or not to go get some ice cream. I have noted that I often want to eat ice cream when I am feeling a bit melancholy and just want to be at home alone and comfortable. This was not one of those nights but at the end of my debate I did say "fuck it, I want ice cream" and then went to the market for some.
My father drank allot when I was young and he had this habit of sitting me on his lap and telling me to hit him as hard as I could. It didn't work for I felt absolutely no desire to do so. Of course it was very uncomfortable for me and I remember feeling a bit intimidated. I also remember once when my mom interrupted his ignorance and took me for a walk into the evening. I'm not sure how old I was but we lived in the house on Fairmount Avenue where this took place from the time I was in the 2nd grade to the 6th grade. I was probably in the second or third grade and I don't recall it happening after that time. For what ever reason I was always a bit intimidated by my father when I was young. I do recall another similar event regarding my father. I'm not sure of my age but it was before we lived in the house where the above mentioned event took place. i always had this memory of me and my older brother crying and the police had my dad on the floor and were handcuffing him. i asked my mother about this a few years ago and she said that she had called the police because he had hit me.
Back in '97, '98 I was working in Tempe Az. We had a little contest where the employees would bring in an old photo from when they were young. I found one of me when I was 3 or 4 I think. I was sitting on the arm of a chair with the biggest smile and brightest face one could imagine. It struck me because the photos of myself from elementary school all have a sad look about them. Of course it could just be that I didn't wan my picture taken. But no... it wasn't that kind of look.
Anyway...

No comments: